How many hits in a minute?
Can you do 173? If a 12-year-old from Japan can, why can't you? You really should watch this video - great counter-hitting, and a real example of concentration. (There's a short commercial at the start - sorry.)
I'm toying with trying this, but going backhand-to-backhand right off the bounce, perhaps with one of our local juniors, who have natural machinegun-like backhands. If you want to see how many you can do, here's a key hint: don't think as you hit, don't try to control the shots, just blank out the mind, just watch the ball, and let the strokes happen. After about 20 seconds, you'll start sweating--mentally, if not physically. After 40 seconds, your eyes will glaze over.
Arrested at a Table Tennis Camp?
Here's an article about a fugitive who was caught because of his table tennis addiction. They picked him up when he went to a table tennis camp in Delhi! Inspired by this, the Maryland Table Tennis Center (my club) will now operate as a sting for the police, attracting table tennis criminals from all over the world. (Note to the criminal table tennis underground: I'm just kidding, feel free to come to our camps. We will teach you to kill. Maybe even loop kill.)
So . . . how bad did you play?
[This is from an article I wrote a while back.]
"How’d you play?"
"So bad that--"
- The umpire started coaching me.
- The crowd rose to its feet when I returned a serve.
- My opponent bought me an instructional book.
- I saved $5 on a haircut from all those balls whizzing by.
- My coach hid in the bathroom.
- It had to be my equipment.
- The computer that does the ratings had to be reprogrammed for negative numbers.
- Butterfly offered me a long-term contract to use Stiga products.
George H.W. Bush named me one of his thousand points of darkness.
(You have to be a certain age to get this one, from twenty years ago.)
- My kid sister beat me.
- My kid sister offered to spot me points.
- My kid sister spotted me points and beat me.
- My kid sister's best friend, who's never played, spotted me points and beat me.
- My kid sister's best friend's little brother's pet turtle beat me.
- Every time I play, all the dogs in the neighborhood howl until I stop.
- Rodney Dangerfield asked me to be his sidekick.
- Wayne Gretzy outscored me, and he was playing hockey.
- I distinctly heard the ball laughing at me.
- I remember every point I scored. It was an edge ball.
Send us your own coaching news!